Sunday, January 7, 2018

Taxol: I think I got this...

It has been a crazy week since my first treatment of Taxol and I have 11 more weeks of this to go. I brought my mother to this round as my support system since this one fell on a Tuesday and not Kevin's day off.

We arrived on time and everything went the way it usually goes, though the waiting was a bit longer. It was the day after New Years, so they had two days of patients. I was placed (at first) in the most exposed seat in the fusion room, which I was not a fan of, and there was no table for my computer. Life’s problems, right?

I right away started to feel sick and they had literally given me nothing, not even a saline drip. I was moments away from throwing up when she had (during this time) given me Benadryl. This made me so drowsy the nausea faded. I realized that most likely all the horrendous experiences with the red devil were messing with my head and showing up in a very, real, physical reaction.

Actually, before they had even taken me back I was handed my lunch menu and that made me sick. The memories of the lunches eaten before in the fusion room caused my stomach to swirl and head to spin in disgust, even if the food is quite good. And, honestly, it is good but the association to the treatment is more than my brain can bear.

Once I felt better the food came within moments, and the treatment went faster than the previous. If it weren’t for the delays, we may have gotten out of their earlier. Not a complaint, just a reality of the new chemo not taking as long as the first more aggressive treatment.

My ray of sunshine, I didn’t need to have the nulasta pack. Man I gagged just a little at the thought of that. 



It was a huge relief. I would rather do weekly treatments then have to go through that again. I felt nauseated every time the pack would kick on 27 hours after it was placed on my stomach. Once it kicked on it would inject medicine for 45 minutes. Vomit. I didn’t need the steroids anymore either. I had hoped that they were the cause of my heartburn, but turns out I still need to take that Prilosec.

I do forget to take my vitamins now that I have less other medications to take. And I just remembered I didn’t take it today either…oh boy. I also have been waning on the water intake. When you don’t feel as bad you forget, but I’m not so foolish to think that I will feel this good next time as the Red Devil was different each time as well.

With less meds, I hoped for less side effects and true they are less, however, there are some new ones as well. My eyebrows are disappearing.  My head is sweating profusely at night, so I can’t wear the hats like I like to when I sleep. I hear that it’s normal, but it scares me a little as I know cancer causes night sweats. But would I just sweat in one place? A question for the doctor tomorrow or nurse. I only see the doctor once every three weeks now, unless requested.

Oh, wait, there is more. I have extra dry feet and weird discolorations on my fingers and toes (though that kind of started with the Red Devil). It’s super cute. Plus, I feel like I have aged so much. And still, no weight loss. I want to be upset about the lack of weight loss, but (and I may have said this before) this could be the reason I have staved off sickness and/or infections. Maintaining, if not gaining, a glorious overweight weight.

Then the rest of the week I had so many worries. Combatting with how I feel with worrying about my forgetfulness and paying the bills. Let me tell you, chemo brain is a real thing. I have made more mistakes with my bills when on the Red Devil then I realized, and I feel like I’m coming out of that fog and trying to play catch up. I sit here trying to be sure there is nothing we are forgetting. The house is also falling behind in cleaning as Kevin is only one man.




And there is the paperwork in relationship to the treatments to fill out that required a trip to the post office. By 500 pm I’m ready for bed and I’m oversleeping. This week has been quite the opposite in some ways. No insomnia, that’s for sure. Staying awake is the problem.

And the one errand I ran this week that meant more to me than I could do justice with words was a visit to a friend of a friend. I was bestowed two wigs by this woman who she, herself, is battling cancer. However, she isn’t battling like me, she is foregoing her treatment and donating her vast collection of wigs that she never had the chance to use. She felt awesome helping me and I’m eternally grateful to have more options in hair ware. The shorter wigs are much better for more daily wear as the long ones don’t last as long if worn daily. The long one will be for special occasions.

Spending time with this wonderful woman and seeing her strength and spirit makes me realize how lucky I am at this point. I know things could change. I could be in the clear and then not. Or I could live to be 101, but I can only aspire to be as strong and generous as this woman is. I thank her. It seems small, but it really isn’t. She is one of so many women and men and sadly children facing a death sentence and still living her life. Still helping others with the time she has left. It’s incredible. She is incredible.

Another early morning appointment/day tomorrow. My lovely little brother joined me and Melina today for my cousin’s 4-year old’s birthday party, however, the little brother and Melina both have school.  Kevin and I will be dropping them off early in the morning before the next round of chemo. I should be getting my hiney to bed, but I realized I’m about to run into another post. Oops. Told you this week was a little nutty.


No comments:

Post a Comment