Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Bridesmaids' Selecting Their Dresses - The Wedding

What a fabulous way to end my weekend before another fun week of chemo and recovery begins. Once again my wonderful friend Katie from California flew into town last minute, on a red eye, to come to another wedding event. The bridesmaid shopping.

Wait...red eye? What? Oh come on! I have this great friend, Uber...  But in all seriousness, she did offer to take an Uber or a Lyft because she knew it was super late and both Kevin and I had to work early in the morning.

The irony was that I had a horrible time falling asleep because I was afraid I would oversleep and not hear her when she arrived in order to let her in. By the time I feel asleep, I probably only slept 10 minutes before the alarm went off at 1220 am.


She finally arrived around 1240 am and we talked for 5 minutes before we both rushed off to bed. Not only did Kevin (sweet fiance) and I have to work in the morning, but so did our guest. The life of  a super smart program engineer. My other out of towner, Jen will do the same thing. Always having to take their work with them. I think there is this part of me that says I refuse to work that hard, but I guess between working full time, raising my daughter, planning a wedding, going through chemo, and still writing in numerous platforms, I guess I work hard. No wonder I have no time for cleaning.  How on earth do I still feel lazy?

Okay, back to the point of all of this...



(I needed to post dresses on the evite) DONE. Now I can focus. Whew!

Bright and early I jetted off to work so I could rush back and spend time with my friend. (Hmmm...I'm not sure how that did anything for getting back sooner, I left at the same time at the end of the day? This brain is going to be a problem for awhile, bear with me.) The next day would be the big day of trying on dresses and just simply having a wonderful time.  Food, drinks, and merriment.

Friday went by quickly and before I knew it I was back home...but my guest was gone. Where could she be?  She had no vehicle with which to travel. As I set down my purse and looked for Kevin, I received a text. Ahhh! Katie was at the local Starbucks working (of course) and wanted a lift home. I got back in the car and rushed over to pick her up. (This woman was going to take a Lyft and the Starbucks is about a half a mile or so from my house.)

I pulled into the parking lot and spotted her right away in the window, ripping her hair out in front of a laptop. Work must be stressful. However, she was not literally ripping it out, but definitely grabbing at it in frustration. Did I mention how hard she works at her job? (My daughter saw her working at the house and wanted to be just like her and work like Katie. It was adorable).

I immediately texted her jokes.

"I see you"
"In the window"
"You are pretty...he he he"
"I'm your stalker"
"Is your phone on silent?"

Then there were gifs I sent of stalkers and things. 



I finally went to facebook messenger. She was on a lap top and her phone must have died. Yet, I couldn't seem to get her attention via facebook either as it was a work computer and she is smart enough not to be on social media sites on a work computer. I even sent a picture of herself in the window to really be that creepy stalker and get her attention. She kept looking at the clock on the wall, expecting my arrival, so I guess the dream of not getting out of the car was not happening.

I popped in and called her name out. Nothing. I took another step in and called out louder. No response. Finally, "Katie!" I yelled. She turned around but not before a voice to my right yelled out my name. It was my Matron of Honor's (Melissa) youngest daughter. Man! They are getting so big and making me old.

Speaking of the Melissa, she was on our her to join the crowd at my house, so we needed to get going. Katie still had to work once we got back but after a few more hours she could relax with us til about midnight. We needed to get some rest. We had been late for the bridal fitting previously, and we were ensuring that we would be late again if we continued to stay up late and, drink...

The next day we arrived, Katie, Deb, and I to the dress shop and I believe all of them (of course) that could make it had beat us there. Six women got measured and we still have four left.  It's a whole lot of ladies, but it's my wedding. I can do what I want. It's very freeing to say that and believe that. I can follow some traditions, but the reality is I can do whatever I want. So I will have the PAs and the ushers join the rest of the party at the head table. Why not? And the PAs were being fitted for dresses.  Again, why not? The ushers tend to closely match the groomsmen in attire, so why shouldn't the PAs (Personal Attendants) match the Bridesmaids? And finally, I have another wonderful friend marrying us, another Angie (not photographed below). It couldn't be a better line up of awesome people representing me. Encompassing years of my life. It's beautiful.

Anyhow, I digress...the winning pics for the ladies in attendance are as follows... (and the other four will pick theirs at another date and they dodge the showcase on my blog...for now...mwahahaha!)

Misty = Bridesmaid/friends for about 15 years? Maybe 20. All dresses will be wine, but Misty's will be the short version of the above, no slit. I'm not sure what's happening with the hand...and I'm not sure we need to know.
Katie = Bridesmaid/friends since high school. Buying the dress off the rack and wearing it to a Christmas party. Getting her money's worth. She really wanted to wear it home on the plane, but I feared for the safety of the dress.
Tami = Bridesmaid/Cousin - This dress will also be purchased in the shorter version. The dresses are more matte/flat textured in the short version, but also not as shiny as some that were satin in nature, so I felt comfortable with it. I'm not a giant fan of satin, but less of the lace.
Maria = Personal Attendant/Security/Bouncer/Cousin - now I picture her giving me the look until I say, "Favorite Cousin" - After twisting her arm, I got her in a dress. There were several ladies who didn't like my picture taking skills. Hmm... I warned them that I was taking a picture, I held the phone up, and said here it goes. The faces the make is on them, not the photographer. :P
Deb = Bridesmaid/friends for 6 years - Deb and Maria like the same dress twice, but this was their final decision. I did listen to both Deb and Maria and cut out their socks. :D
Angie = Bridesmaid/friends since high school - And this is the exact dress she chose, other than the color. Three of the styles match and two others so far as well. I believe the Maid of Honor also liked this style that Angie, Misty, and Tami selected...so we'll see. :) And they have pockets!  Woo hoo!

It must be added that this dress, shown below, was Tami's first pick. The best part of this dress was a picture I never got. They got the dress on her and it just didn't seem to look right. The front was tight and the back of it was completely loose and sagging. The back and front are exactly the same except for this sagging issue in the back. It also zipped on the side. After Maria examined her dress for about a minute, she stepped back and said, "Boo, you have it on backwards." Boobs in the front, Tam. We were all dying.

Then she gets it on and she is fiddling with the feathery extra material. This is where the dress got the kabash. She would be playing with that the entire wedding most likely, like a kid with their woobie. (I bet you thought I was gonna say something else...I would have said man...not kid.)




After they said yes to many dresses and paid, we went to lunch. After waiting 10 minutes to be seated at Buffalo Wild Wings, maybe 15 minutes, 6 of us were squeezed into a booth. Mind you, they thought we had 7. There was a table with 6 chairs, but that would be a fire hazard to add a chair to the end of the table. And I guess squeezing 7 adults into a booth really designed for 4 is not? Okay.

We ordered our drinks right away. (um..right away after she finally arrived about 10 minutes later. a total of 30 minutes passed, after being seated, and the restaurant had begun to empty a bit. The 6 chaired table sat empty the whole time and not bused. We had also been told if we didn't want the booth we would have to wait a half an hour for a new table. Salt in the wound as this table was right next to ours. People were still waiting in the entrance for a table, as well...really!?

I thought it was due to availability, but it not only took the girl 30 minutes to get to it, it also took her a good 10 minutes to clear it. No sight of our waitress other than her bringing drinks to a family that was seated about 15 minutes after us. Before words were spoken and spit was dropped in our food, we simply got up and left.




We headed across the road, and went to this place called the Machine Shed. It was a very good homestyle menu and cocktails weren't half bad either. I almost went into a state of panic, worried that they would not have drinks at this restaurant. It just had a vibe of no drinks. I should have known better, it was attached to a hotel.

Why so gung ho on the drinks, you ask? My only time to do the drinks. I felt good and I don't really want to drink at all on chemo, but with the special occasion I was leaving it for this weekend. To my relief they had a drink menu. I don't know that the other patrons liked our table talk, but whatever.

One thing I have realized as well, I'm not nearly as funny the week of a treatment, so I apologize for what comes out this week, if I'm even able to do this. I noticed last treatment it trailed off by the end of that week around the fourth day...which would be tomorrow. Today is my 40th birthday and tomorrow is Thanksgiving. The holidays will be a little lack luster for me this year. It's these moments with these wonderful women that help me to forget that I'm dealing with any of this at all.

And snuggles with my daughter and fiance, of course. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment